If your pet was exposed not too long ago and symptoms of illness are not yet apparent, immediately contact your veterinary clinic or Pet Poison helpline, a 24 by 7 animal poison management, at 800 213 6680. Assessing and treating early increases the odds of a successful and safe outcome.
Should your pets be already showing indicators of distress, transport them immediately to the nearest veterinary emergency hospital? Take the medicine bottle and any remaining pills along. Complete information must be given about the symptoms, time of ingestion, amount swallowed, and medication type. It might be helpful as well to bring with you an old towel or blanket just in case your animal companion gets nauseated and then vomits while in transit. If your pet does vomit, check if the vomitus has any medication, and then note how much was there before you discard it. If this is not possible, save the vomitus and allow the veterinary clinic staff to check for you.
Keep calm, then provide the veterinarian or the Pets Poison helpline personnel with all the information you have. Provide all information about all pets that had access to medication. The information is important so the poisoning risk can be assessed properly and your animal companion is offered the best possible care.
If you have any questions or concerns about your pet’s behavior, don’t hesitate to contact your animal hospital Ellicott City, MD.